Thursday, March 11, 2010

Whiskey & Ginger

I recently came home from a business trip to a rural area of Washington State. I can tell without shame that I'm glad to be home in my urban apartment with the sounds of traffic and trains around me. But I want to share with you an experience I had out in the wilderness of the Olympic National Forest that you may enjoy. First of all let me tell you that I love the outdoors. I love hiking and camping and kayaking and bike riding and well shit you get the idea. So with that being said I was out hiking a trail in the BuckHorn area of the forest and I found this secondary trail that took you out to an overlook if you will. This over look encompassed an panoramic view of this gorgeous valley. I mean gorgeous... lush green pine trees and wilderness. I climbed out onto a large rock and sat down to listen to......well nothing....nothing at all. As I sat there in the quiet the sound of the wild began to flood my ears. I could hear a hawk calling out letting others know he was cruising his skies. I could hear the thunderous Dungeness River flowing through the valley. And the wind through the trees as well rustling the branches. It grew cold .....so cold in fact it began to snow while i was sitting on this rock with my feet dangling over the edge. I could help but smile as i put my wool cap on and then my mittens(yes mittens but there manly) at how peaceful snow seems to make any situation, place, or view. I sat there marveling at Gods work and the snowflakes that were collecting on my shoulders and legs. I felt really at one with the wild. Deciding it was time to go i gathered my backpack and readied myself to leave when I noticed the locals contribution to this beautiful spot. Shotgun shells as far as the eye could see was well as its apparent victims which were the shattered remains of what could only be the local Wal-Marts finest of dinnerware. Bacardi Silver bottles littered this shrine of beauty as well. Plastic Mountain Dew bottles were also present I mean what country bumpkin travels without this nectar of the Hank WIlliams Jr GODS! I was just gonna leave but I couldn't....I just couldn't go. I collected these pieces of trash all together. Put them in a neat little pile off to the side of the main trail. I worked like I was on autopilot. I wasn't mad or sad ...I had no emotions really I just couldn't leave this natural beauty with all this trash lying around.

I leave you with this: Pendleton & Ginger

take one part Pendleton Canadian whiskey, one part ginger ale and a hand full of ice. Stir and please enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment